- In December 1993, the Day Surgery Special Interest group was formed by a group of nurses who attended the Inaugural Same Day Surgery conference in Perth.
- The group agreed that a formal body with a common interest in Day Surgery was needed.
- This occurred in 1996 when the Australian Day Surgery Nurses Association (ADSNA) was formed with representatives from each Australian State.
- 1996 saw WA change its name to the Nurses Association of Short Stay Facilities (NASSF) to ensure all areas caring for patients for the day up to 23 hours were represented.
- to promote the free exchange of knowledge
- to encourage recognition of the specialty
- to maintain links with similar organisations in Australia through ADSNA
- to pursue quality improvement in this area
- to foster good fellowship between members
Our NASSF Constitution is also available.